Review: The Book of Chinese Proverbs: A Collection of Timeless Wisdom, Wit, Sayings & Advice by Gerd de Ley #chineseproverbs #proverbs #gerddeley
(product photo by www.hatherleighpress.com)
The Book of Chinese Proverbs: A Collection of Timeless Wisdom, Wit, Sayings & Advice by Gerd de Ley retails for $15.00 in the US and $20.00 in Canada. It can be purchased online at www.hatherleighpress.com, www.amazon.com or www.barnesandnoble.com.
$15.00 US/$20.00 CAN
Over the past year I have reviewed several books about proverbs from around the world. Today I will be reviewing a book called The Book of Chinese Proverbs, which is honestly where I think about proverbs when someone mentions one or one comes to mind. The Chinese are famous for their proverbs, having many sayings they use to help provide advice.
Not all of these are well known of course. But there are many here that are very interesting and that have a lot of wisdom in them. I am going to list a few from various areas in the book and let you see how interesting they are.
- When you aim at the rat, beware of the vase.
- The silent duck gets the worm
- It is difficult for a snake to go back to hell once he has tasted heaven.
- If wishes were horses, beggars would ride
- Tiger, leopard, dog and sheep. They all look the same without their hair.
- Insanity is doing the same thing in the same way and expecting a different outcome.
- Inspiration comes only after perspiration.
- The best place to find helping hands is at the end of your own arms.
- Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life.
- Misery acquaints men with strange bedfellows.
- The load carried by another doesn't seem very heavy.
On Knowing Oneself:
- Who is narrow minded cannot be big hearted.
- A man can never be perfect in a hundred years; but he may become corrupt in less than a day.
- Modesty is the companion of success.
- If you must play, decide upon three things at the start: the rules of the game, the stakes and when to stop.
- No needle is sharp at both ends.
As you can see, a lot of these proverbs are familiar and all of them make great sense. These are all common sense proverbs that really do give you a sense of "aha" moments when you read them and say, "Oh yes, I definitely believe this and need to remember it". These do help ease your life by providing life lessons and wisdom. I recommend it for those who need to have that in their life.