It had to happen sooner or later. The B.B. cream fad was going to hit the drugstores in the United States. Just recently Maybelline and L’Oreal came out with their own versions of the Asian “B.B.” creams. These creams originated in the Asian markets and are known as combination skincare, primer and foundations rolled into one. I have used a few of them and love them. I was excited to try the Maybelline and L’Oreal versions to see how they measure up.
Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-in-1 Beauty Balm Skin Perfector Broad Spectrum SPF 30
The Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-in-1 Beauty Balm Skin Perfector Broad Spectrum SPF 30 (1.0 oz) is supposed to do a lot of things. First off I like this: it contains only Titanium Dioxide 1.15% which is a natural sunscreen. The it reflects the sun’s rays instead of absorbing them into the skin. SPF 30 is the minimum for a good daily broad spectrum sunscreen. This B.B. cream is supposed to do 8 things:
1. Blur imperfectionsI have VERY fair skin and I need a very light foundation. I chose the Light Sheer Tint. It comes in a around four colors, from what I remember on the display. Most Asian B.B. creams only come in 1-2 colors. I applied it and immediately noticed that it had a yellowish orange tint on my skin. Most Maybelline foundations tend to have yellowish tints. The yellow dissipated as I blended it out with the sponge. I applied powder and it did blend very well into my skin tone. It is okay. The product doesn’t have a lot of coverage, just minimal. Read my review below for a product with more coverage. If you want a “B.B. cream” that minimal coverage and has natural sunscreens, this is your product. For what it is worth, this may not really be a “B.B. Cream” by Asian standards. Give me a few weeks with it and I might change my mind.
4. Adjust to skin tone
7. Protect with SPF30
8. It has 0% and other heavy ingredients
L’OREAL MAGIC SKIN BEAUTIFIER B.B. CREAM 4 BEAUTIFYING ACTIONS IN 1: PRIMES PERFECTS, HYDRATES CORRECTS. FLAWLESS BARE SKIN FINISH.
The L’Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier B.B. Cream (1.0 oz)is different than the Maybelline one in a key aspect. It starts out white and changes color as it is applied to the skin. It has what they call”beautifying beads” that are encapsulated pigments infused with antioxidants such as Vitamin C& E. The Magic Skin Beautifier has 4 Beautifying actions:
1.It primes to smooth the skin’s texture.When applied the cream goes on white, and then transforms to your perfect shade. Other companies, such as Almay already have this technology. I was skeptical about this. After all, I am almost ghostly white according to some. So I applied the cream to various places on my face and then blended it in. Slowly it started to turn the EXACT shade of my skin. I was really surprised. If you notice the third photograph on top you will see my wrist and see that it turned from white to the shade of my wrist. I must say I am very happy with this product so far. It also covered pretty well, much better than the Maybelline BB cream. Sometimes you stumble upon a product once in a while that just surprises you. This is one of those products. If it becomes popular and they keep making it, I will keep buying it! Is this a true “B.B. Cream”? I cannot say yet. I am just really happy it matches my skin tone. If it does brighten my complexion after a few weeks, then by all means, hey, I will call it one!
2. It perfects to hide imperfections.
3. The cream hydrates to provide all day moisture
4. A healthy looking, even complexion is achieved by correcting.